Archive | Websites

Snapchat redesign sparks backlash among some users

Snapchat redesign sparks backlash among some users

Posted on 14 February 2018 by Usama Hashmi - Total hits: 29

Snapchat’s latest app redesign, aimed at broadening the appeal of the youth-oriented social network, sparked a backlash from many users complaining about the abrupt overhaul of their preferred service.

More than 578,000 users had signed an online petition by midday Monday calling on parent firm Snap to roll back the update, which was released last week.

“Many users have found that it has not made the app easier to use, but has, in fact, made many features more difficult,” the petition at change.org states.

“Many ‘new features’ are useless or defeat the original purposes Snapchat has had for the past years.”

The update separates the “media content” from that of friends, a move aimed at avoiding problems faced by social media rivals Facebook and Twitter on a proliferation of misinformation.

But a flurry of Twitter comments took issue with the update to Snapchat, which has become a favorite of teens for its disappearing messages but also offers content from various media partners.

“I don’t even wanna use Snapchat till they fix this update, I just immediately get mad when I open the app,” one user tweeted.

Another Twitter comment said, “this snapchat update is the worst thing to happen since U2’s album was downloaded to everyone’s phone.”

Supermodel Chrissy Teigen added her voice to the protests, tweeting, “How many people have to hate an update for it to be reconsidered?”

Some Snapchat users complained the app was updated automatically and may have caused the loss of some messages or archived data known as Memories.

Twitter users offered tips on how to uninstall the update to get the old version of the application.

But the Snapchat support team tweeted that “unofficial workarounds to change the way Snapchat looks are temporary and can result in getting permanently locked out of your account or losing Memories.”

Debra Aho Williamson, an analyst who follows social media for the research firm eMarketer, said it was too soon to judge user reaction to the redesign.

“We’re watching users’ reaction to Snapchat’s redesign very closely, but at this point, we don’t see it having an impact on usage among young people,” she said.

“It’s very possible that once they get used to the new way the app is laid out, they will use it just as heavily as before.”

An eMarketer survey released Monday showed Facebook is losing younger users at a pace faster than anticipated, with many switching to applications like Snapchat or the Facebook-owned Instagram.

Comments (0)

IT ministry asked to ensure broadband connectivity across remote areas

IT ministry asked to ensure broadband connectivity across remote areas

Posted on 13 January 2018 by Usama Hashmi - Total hits: 43

Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi on Friday asked the Ministry of Information Technology to ensure reliable and cheap broadband connectivity across the country, particularly to remote areas, in order to ensure the spread of digital facilities to the common man.

Addressing a ceremony here at a local hotel for the contract signing of Broadband for Sustainable Development Projects in FATA; Khyber, Mohmand Agency, and D.I.Khan, the Prime Minister commended the initiative and said it would help bridge the gap between the urban and rural areas by providing modern facilities to the people at their doorsteps.

The project for provision of telecom services to the un-served areas was being implemented by the Universal Service Fund, working under the Ministry of Information Technology.

After the launch of the 3G and 4G services, it has provided internet service to 5,896 Mauzas. The new contracts would enable it to extend these services to Khyber, Mohmand and D.I.Khan at a cost of Rs 3.5 billion and facilitate over four million people in 1,187 Mauzas.

He tasked the Ministry of Information Technology to complete the project in the next four months and provide connectivity at affordable rates.

The Prime Minister stated that e-services were a rapidly evolving field and could provide health, education and business opportunities to the people in the remotest areas of the country.

He said at a later stage it could also help in e-voting and help cut down the cost of holding elections.

The Prime Minister also mentioned the initiative by the Universal Service Fund for the provision of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for girls and delivery of IT and e-services in un-served and under-served areas.

Under the USF Project “ICT for Girls”, Microsoft has collaborated to train young girls to empower them to participate in the socio-economic development of the country. So far 100 computer labs have been established in Bait-ul-Maal’s Women Empowerment Centers across the country that would train 35,000 students.

Prime Minister Abbasi termed the development as the tip of the iceberg and said it would empower the women and enable them to earn a respectable income from the comfort of their homes.

Minister for Information Technology Anusha Rehman said the USF was also providing ICT training to young girls at government schools in Islamabad through 226 computer labs. Microsoft would train 202 teachers who would impart training to over 70,000 girls.

She also pointed to the project for empowerment and creation of economic opportunities for Small and Medium Enterprises and Artisans through e-commerce. She said such technology would help improve social and economic growth and make it easier to provide e-health, e-education and several other facilities.

Since 2013, contracts have been awarded for providing mobile broadband services in Kalat, Sibi, Zhob, Kohistan, Dera Bugti and Kharan-Washuk she further stated.

The Prime Minister earlier witnessed inking of the Contracts between the USF and the service providers of Ufone and Telenor.

Comments (0)

Travel Agents Stole Rs. 72 Million Worth of E Tickets From PIA Website

Tags: , ,

Travel Agents Stole Rs. 72 Million Worth of E Tickets From PIA Website

Posted on 20 August 2013 by PakBee - Total hits: 2,668

72 Million Worth of E Tickets From PIA WebsiteIn a shocking event of cyber crime, it is revealed that Rs. 72 million worth of E-Tickets were stolen by various individuals and Air Travel Agents through Pakistan International Airline (PIA) website, reported Dunya Newspaper.

Report said that tickets were stolen for more than a year and it was only recently that PIA administration found out the flaw in their website that lead to free reservation of 5757 air travel tickets for all sorts of destinations across the globe.

Government officials confirmed the incident and said that details of the cyber crime will be presented during on-going session of National Assembly.

It merits mentioning here that PIA had started offering E-Ticketing service through its websites for over two years ago but had halted the service recently after finding out about the scandal.

According to report, these tickets were reserved through PIA websites and were re-sold to end-users who travelled on the stolen tickets without getting caught by PIA administration.

Report claims that PIA website had essential security loopholes that lead the Air Travel Agents to freely reserve E-Tickets.

Interestingly, the security loophole was misused by agents for over a year and no-one from PIA was able to track it.

A cyber security expert, while explaining the possibilities to ProPakistani, said that it is likely that PIA administration was involved in the crime. He opined that Travel Agents are usually not that tech-savvy and may not have found the bug without external help.

PIA said that it is making efforts to recover the money and some Rs. 10 milion were already recovered.

Via PakZindaBad, ProPakistani & Dunya News

Comments (0)

Lahore High Court Orders to Block Facebook: Press Report [Updated]

Tags: , ,

Lahore High Court Orders to Block Facebook: Press Report [Updated]

Posted on 20 September 2011 by PakBee - Total hits: 10,698

Pakistan Today has reported that Lahore High Court Justice Sh Azmat Saeed yesterday ordered ministry of information and technology to block Facebook in Pakistan for spreading religious hatred on internet world.

This news is not being covered by any other media outlet so far (which is strange and hence isn’t that convincing) plus we don’t have any official confirmation from ministry of information technology or from PTA as of now.

According to Pakistan Today, during hearing a petition requesting a permanent ban on Facebook for hosting competition featuring blasphemous caricatures, Lahore High Court ordered the government to make sure that Facebook is blocked in Pakistan and to submit a compliance report by October 6, 2011.

The judge, however, made it clear that no search engine including Google would be blocked, reported the paper.

It maybe recalled that Facebook got banned in Pakistan last year for hosting Draw Mohammad Day and for not removing blasphemous pages from it’s server.

This fresh petition in Lahore High Court is filed by Muhammad & Ahmad, a public interest litigation firm, through chairman Muhammad Azhar Siddique advocate praying for a permanent ban on access to Facebook for hosting a fresh blasphemous caricature drawing contest world over under a title “2nd Annual Draw Muhammad Day on May 20, 2011″.

Facebook is a social network and users from around the world are free to post anything, however, it content is moderated based on Facebook terms which state:

You will not post content that: is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.

Facebook became controversial and was condemned for not removing Draw Mohammad Day page from it’s server despite it was reported (as abuse) by hundreds of thousands of Muslim users. While on other hands Facebook tends to remove any anti-Jews or Anti-Israel page in only few minutes.

Update:

We just got confirmation from PTA officials that they have not received any such order, at least as of now, for Facebook blockade.

This is a developing story and may get updated when and if we get any further information on this

Comments (0)

Domain ‘.xxx’ approved for Web Porn Sites

Tags: , , ,

Domain ‘.xxx’ approved for Web Porn Sites

Posted on 20 March 2011 by PakBee - Total hits: 18,324

On Friday, the board of directors of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which oversees the Internet’s naming system, approved the creation of a red-light district online for pornographic websites. It follows a decade-long battle over such a name.

The uproar over the idea has brought together unlikely bedfellows.

Religious groups argue that giving adult websites their own corner of the Internet legitimizes the content.

Pornographers worry it will ghettoize their sites. Although it’s meant to be voluntary, they fear governments could try to mandate the domain’s use, so that pornographic content is more easily blocked.

Diane Duke, executive director of the adult entertainment industry’s Free Speech Coalition, said in a statement that ICANN has “disregarded overwhelming outpouring of opposition from the adult entertainment industry — the supposed sponsorship community” and dismissed the “interests of free speech on the Internet.”

Supporters have maintained that approving the domain is in keeping with the principle of openness that has fueled the Internet’s growth.

While the idea of “.xxx” has provoked a philosophical debate, for the U.S. company that submitted the application for the domain, the issue is little more than a matter of dollars and cents.

ICM Registry and its CEO, Stuart Lawley, who has led the fight for ICANN’s approval of “.xxx,” stand to profit handsomely from the rollout of “.xxx” websites — because he will be in charge of collecting fees for the use of the new domains.

Lawley plans to charge registrars $60 per year for the domain names. He estimates that he could sell as many as 500,000 by the time he rolls them out this summer.

“This was always going to be a very lucrative arrangement,” he said in an interview Friday.

Lawley’s prices have been a critical issue for opponents to his plan, since domain names typically sell for a fraction of what Lawley plans to charge. They often sell for $10 or less.

ICANN had repeatedly rejected Lawley’s application since 2000, under pressure from Christian groups and governments unhappy with the spread of online porn. Lawley has pitched the suffix as a way for parents to more easily block access to the content. He argues it will be easier for Web filtering software to block “.xxx” sites since they are clearly labeled as porn

Comments (1)




Digital Media Agency

Business Directory Pakistan SEO Services - SEO Specialist Pakistan Advertise Here


Categories

Archives